SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

SUNRISE OVER TIKAL
SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Quito, Ecuador - Academia Latinoamericana de Espanol

My new family, theCastillos, met me at the airport in Quito and took me home. They are wonderful people. The household consists of Carlos, an internal medicine doctor; his wife, Fatima, a housewife; and their 21 year old married son and wife and baby. They have another 27 year old married son, who lives in the San Fernando Valley, near LA. The house is huge by Ecuador standards. I have my own bedroom and bathroom and two meals/day. Carlos' parents own the residence and live in an upstairs apartment Fatima said they have all been in the house for 22 years, and when they move they will move into another of Carlos' father's residences. Apparently, it is very normal for children to live in the household. Each family has entirely separate quarters. The maid brought me to school today on the bus and will pick me up so I will know how to go back and forth to school. The bus only cost $.25. Everything is very cheap! The maid cooked my dinner last night, which was excellent. The best salsa I have tasted. My meal consisted of fried plantains, rice, beans, salsa, breaded chicken. I drank two types of juice, which we do not have in the U.S. So far I have not gotten sick from the food, which has been great, both on the cruise ship and at the Castillos.

My first day at school has been magnificent! I was a little worried, but like usual, there was nothing to worry about. There are people here who know more and less Spanish than I do. It has also been a real refresher for English grammar, e.g. Indicative, Preterite, Subjunctive, etc. My "family" speaks all Spanish to me (altho they do know some English). I am muddling through, but have improved in my ability to understand the spoken word in just one day. I am taking one-on-one classes this week (4 hrs eachday). Professor William speaks English, but only speaks Spanish to me, which has been very helpful (altho frustrating sometimes). The school has 5 computers and lots of classroom space. My teacher has his own accounting firm, which he works at in the AM. In the PM he teaches Spanish. I am really enjoying it based on my first day. There are different activties, which I can join in the afternoon. I hope to go to the modern art gallery on Thursday with a group from school and also join a horseback riding trip (wearing typical Peruvian clothes) at some time in the near future.

I have taken a lot of pictures, but have not found the cable. I will continue to look. I hope all of you are doing well!

No comments: