SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

SUNRISE OVER TIKAL
SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3-7 through 3-10-10

We have been so busy seeing everything that I have not been able to "blog" for quite a few days..will try to fill you in without being too long. Am also trying to post some pictures taken from 3-5 to now.

I was thrilled that after the group dinner 3/6, the guide arranged for me to hear jazz at the Sydney Opera House. It was s-o-o worth it. After taking the tour during the day and hearing about the acoustics, it was everything and more. The acoustics (all natural) were unbelievable. I met an Aussie woman, with whom I spoke for quite a while and a Japanese couple, who were very nice. I had a wonderful time.

The next day we took a city tour of Sydney which was very interesting. I love the city. I am uploading a picture of me sitting on Ms. MacQuarrie's chair (stone of course). The governor, her husband, built it for her so she could see all the ships from Scotland coming into the harbor...she missed her home country so much. She would sit it the chair and knit or whatever and whenever a ship would come in she would run to tell her husband (home was up on the hill)....love these little tidbits!

3-9-10 We flew to Christchurch, New Zealand and enjoyed the Antarctica Center before we went to the hotel. The center was fantastic! There was a simulation of an antarctic storm..they put heavy jackets on us and lowered the temperature to 0 degrees and had the wind blowing at 60 MPH. Needless to say...it was quite an experience, but I don't think I want to go to Antarctica in Winter. The group had a wonderful dinner together and all sang me happy birthday. Several bought me a glass of wine, so I had a great birthday. Thank you all for emailing me a "happy birthday" or writing me on Facebook.

3-10-10 - City tour around Christchurch. It is absolutely beautiful and is the most "English" of all the cities in New Zealand. The hotel is located in the center of town, where this are plenty of pedestrian malls, so great shopping! We went to an exhibition for "blue pearls", which are famous from the New Zealand abalone. They are beautiful. We also went to an exhibition in Sydney for the Australian opal, which is beautiful. We have had quite a bit of time to ourselves, so one of the women I met from Baltimore and I rode bikes to the park and rode on all the bike paths. The weather has been gorgeous. We parked our bikes and went into the International Flower Show, which is famous all over the world. The flower exhibits were showroom size. Of course, there were many vendors for all types of things and food. We had a blast and rode around about 4 hours. Last night all of us went to a "Carvery" for dinner...much fun.

3-11-10 - today we went for a short tour. Barbara and I went to the museum, which was wonderful and had exhibits of all types of things...part natural history, paintings, antiques, etc. This afternoon there was a discovery series about the early European settlers, but wanted to do this blog and look at email. Tonight we will be staying with a "Kiwi" family....three of us in a house. They are home hosting us and fixing us a New Zealand dinner...should be fun..have had lots of lamb.

Will try to blog more often and put up more pictures. Must run...my host family will be picking me up in about 15 minutes and have to get back to hotel. Tomorrow we travel 10 hours (supposedly absolutely beautiful countryside) to Queenstown, New Zealand (we will be following the southern Alps to the town). Can't wait.

Hope all are doing well. Miss you and luv to u...

No comments: