SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

SUNRISE OVER TIKAL
SUNRISE OVER TIKAL

Friday, July 9, 2010

Arrival in Buenos Aires

Well, arrived this AM at 9:00A - long night on the airplane. I got some sleep, but not much. I was able to track the airplane as it flew to Buenos Aires. I could not believe that Buenos Aires is 4 1/2 hrs flight, southeast, from Quito. I´m way down here! Buenos Aires is beautiful and clean. Of course, there are spots that look run down, but I am staying in a beautiful area with a great Galleria for shopping. It has a wonderful food court at which I ate a salad for lunch and there is a walking outside mall. When I had lunch the street performers were tango dancers! The prices are about the same as in the US. My salad, with ham and chicken, cost 28 Argentina pesos, or about $7 USD. Guess I won´t be getting many "deals" here. Food was good and fresh. The food court had about the same type foods as we get at home, except one of the restaurants sold Parilla, which is an Argentinian mix of all types of meats (for $9 and would serve about 3).

Teresa, the woman I am staying with, is very, very nice and her apartment is beautiful. It is within 4 or 5 blocks from school. Another student, from Uraguay, is staying there and will be leaving 7-16, at which time I will get the bigger bedroom (which is very nice). Terece was married the first time for 3 years and the second for 9 years. She is my age and has grandchildren in Chicago, who are very small. I think we are going to get along great! I feel like I can understand Spanish alot more than I did when I first went to Ecuador, but not nearly enough to say I understand the majority of things said. I can read the signs fairly well and can speak enough to get around. I will be glad after this 7 weeks when I hopefully feel more successful on this Spanish venture. Well, will run for now...need to walk some and get my bearings. The internet is cheap $3 pesos (less than $1) for an hour. A telephone call is $1 or 4 pesos a minute (very expensive compared to Ecuador). Teresa has a free telephone to the US so I will use hers, but don´t want to intrude too much. She uses Magic Jack for anyone who is interested. You can take the little gizmo with you and put it on any computer. I´m going to look into it when I get home. Luv u all...take care

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Sis,
Am so happy to hear you arrived safely and are enjoying it. Sounds like you have found exactlythe right place.
Things here rolling along. Process for Doug more moving better. I hope to have this boot cast removed today and am working on increasing proficiency in my newlanguage also, ie. Visual Enhancement Device Operations :)Pretty cool actually and am glad to be back in touch!
Love your blog and will look for the next one.
Lots and lots of love,
Louise

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom! Nice talking to you the other day and am glad you made it safely. Sounds like you are going to really like your accomodations while staying there! Can't wait to read more. Love you.

Renee