SUNRISE OVER TIKAL
SUNRISE OVER TIKAL
Sunday, August 1, 2010
IGUAZU FALLS, ARGENTINA
How can I begin...Iguazu was more than I could ever have imagined...from the wonderful accomodations at The Secret Garden to the absolutely incredible waterfalls. I was able to upload pictures yesterday, but could not blog until today. I am now back in Buenos Aires. First and foremost were the Falls..they are inexplicable and there are no pictures that can do them justice. When I arrived,John, the owner of the B & B, had arranged transport for me from the airport to his B & B. He then suggested I go to see the Falls on Friday, because the day was so beautiful..sun was out and the temperature was about 75 degrees. I followed his lead and went. They bring you to your knees in a spiritual cocoon. I thought that after I saw Machu Picchu I would never see anything as beautiful...these certainly are right up there on the list of the great wonders of the world! After two days of seeing the Falls (luckily I went the first day because the second day there was rain), the driver took me to a mineral mine, which mined amethysts, quartz, topaz,etc. The property is privately owned and is a true working mine (not like some of those in NC). An English-speaking guide took me through the mine, in which I saw great veins of amethyst, etc. She told me that since the taxes are so high on the property, and the owners do not have a lot of money, the government owns the land from 120 meters down, therefore they do not mine after 120 meters deep. She said there likely are some diamond veins down there, but since the government would take them, they do not mine that area. Of course, I learned all about the gems (my favorite) and had to buy a deep blue topaz ring. After returning, I went to a marvelous restaurant, and ate a Pantegonian fish dinner, which was absolutely the best meal I have had in a long time!! For the sake of all of you who love food as much as I, I will go into the details. It was grilled and about 1 1/4 " thick and was served with a small amount of hollandaise/lemon sauce. The side dish was a sliced mushrooms, black-green olives, capers, ch tomatoes, cut asparagus, bound together with, what tasted like, a balsamic vinegar reduction sauce. ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!! As the icing on the cake...the B & B, THE SECRET GARDEN! I found it on Trip Advisor and it was everything the reviews said and more. Owner John had called me in the US because I was worried about the logistics of seeing the Falls. He quickly put my fears to rest. He turned out to be just as helpful in person. He had to leave for the weekend, but made sure there was an English-speaking person there so I, and the other English speaking couple from Ireland, would have everything! I mean everything! The B & B is an oasis of tropical plants..the bedrooms are separate, but attached to the main house through a beautiful walkway intertwined among the jungle of tropical plants...rooms are very large...I got up each morning to fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh cut papaya, bananas, homemade jams, toast, homemade breads and coffee....all this and dozens of hummingbirds swarming the feeder among the tropical plants right in front of the deck...can not forget Roxy, the Jack Russel Terrier, who is absolutely adorable, well-behaved, and loves to greet you! Anna, one of the staff, made sure reservations were made for dinner at one of the restaurants of our choosing, that a taxi had been ordered to take us there...and the B & B served drinks at 7:00P(the local alcoholic drink). It tasted something like a marguerita, but better...with sugar around the rim. A refrigerator was on the back porch with any type of drink one would want. My time away from the city could not have been better. Well, do not want to bore you with too much detail...have lots more to say, but have said enough...Luv u all...I will study this afternoon. Will leave in four days for Calafate and Ushuaia. Ushuaia is the southern most city in the world and the closest to Antarctica. It is on an island in the far south.It is going to be very cold!! I have already bought some long underwear!! Hope all is going well with you of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Absolutely stunning photos and I so wish I was there to see them in person. Maybe one day I will make it there to these water falls! Love you.
Renee
Is Mel having a good time!?!?:) I can tell Melinda is!!! Wow, what an amazing place is Iguazu Falls area!!! Can you rewrite that whole paragraph in Espanol, BonitaMelinda?!??! Por favor, diga me, "Si, Si!!!!"
Amor, Don Miguel!!
Post a Comment